Meet Jason Hughes, a PM cook at the Abel/Sandoz dining hall.
● What are your hours?
○ He works 11:30 am to 8 pm Monday through Thursday, and if he works Friday and Saturday, he works 10:30 am to 7 pm.
● How late do you stay after closing?
○ People usually don’t have to stay that long after closing. The cooks and other employees do a good job of cleaning up so everyone can head home.
● What’s something you like about your job?
○ Jason really likes the people in his job; being able to help feed all the students is a great part of his job.
● How many kids come in to eat during each meal period?
○ Around 900 kids come to an evening meal; Tuesdays and Thursdays it is sometimes 1,400 students.
● How many people work during each shift?
○ There are usually around 4 cooks during the PM shift, a full-time dishwasher and several other staff members totaling 10 people without counting student employees.
● Where are you from?
○ Jason is from Lincoln, Nebraska.
● What path led you to work at this dining hall?
○ He had previously worked in restaurants such as Applebee’s before finding out about and applying for this position.
● What are your interests/hobbies outside of work?
○ Outside of working here Jason has a second job, and he loves collecting pins.
● Do you have a spouse and/or kids?
○ Jason has family who also lives in Lincoln.